Monday, August 30, 2010

Two Mommies

Divya now officially has two mommies: me...and daddy.  Last week I returned to work and being a full time student.  It was a rough week to say the least.  After spending nearly every moment with Divya for four months over the summer, being away from her for 15 hours last week felt agonizing.  Every time I was away, I felt like I had left half of heart and half of my brain at home.  Thankfully, Divya was at home in very good hands.  Now, I have blogged about what an awesome daddy Arie is...and it's true, he really is.  BUT, as I told Arie before returning to work, 'you have to be mommy now.'  Because at this age, daddy is optional, but mommy is mandatory!

Turns out, Arie is a great mommy as well.  He had an awesome first week with Divya: they played a ton, he bottle fed her, and he danced her to sleep.  It made an extremely difficult transition much easier.  That's not to say there weren't plenty of tears...there were (but they all came from me).  At the end of the week, as he was snuggling with Divya, Arie said to me, 'you know, I loved her before but now I really feel like we're bonded.'  And I see that as well.  He is acutely tuned into her needs and how to care for her as only a mommy could.  It's a beautiful thing.

So, we did survive our first week.  It's all downhill from here, right?!  In addition to being emotional about returning to work, I've been a weepy mess watching the amazing events unfold in our dear friends Mary Beth and Donald's lives.  Every time I think about what has happened in their lives in the last couple of weeks, it gives me goosebumps and brings tears of joy to my eyes.  Mary Beth and Donald are two of the most amazing people I know and it  overjoys me to see such blessing poured out onto their lives.  Check out their blog Our Life Spann on my blog roll.  Mary Beth and Donald, we love you guys SO much and wish we could be be there to celebrate with you!

Divya at 4 months!




Words cannot describe how much I love this picture

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

Already professed my love for you on Facebook :) but just wanted to say your words are too kind, and yes, we wish you could be here celebrating with us too.
I'm sure Arie is a great "mommy" to Divya...he's like the most thorough person I know! Maybe I should send my kids up there too!!