Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Spring into Summer and the End of the World

It's really sad that I haven't posted since spring break. So, here's a brief run down of what's been going on in our lives. We finished our extremely busy semester. I completed teaching my first undergrad class (they all got higher grades thanks to the Kelly curve-that is Kelly gave me a guilt trip about my student's low grades. Those darn counselors. They're so empathetic.) I completed a 3-week intensive summer course, affectionately called 'boot camp'.
We re-did the study. Arie also put up the pipe curtain rods and our lovely red curtains
having fun in Madison at the farmer's marketwatching the sunset at the union terrace
This week Arie started his summer classes, and I started teaching two yoga classes. I had my first classes today where we actually worked out, and I ended up doing about 1/10 of what I had planned. They were dying! Ay, it's going to be a long class.

Ok, so on to the end of the world business...I'm fully convinced that Iowa has the worst weather known to man. Most of you know the horrors I endured this winter, and I'm trying to block out the memory so I won't recap. Well, this summer hasn't been any better. It get SO hot and humid. For example, it was only 65 degrees out today. So i went for a run and came back DRENCHED in sweat (and no, I wasn't running fast-at all!). That's how humid it is here. It's more humid than South Carolina. It's like Columbia swamp humid. But we're nowhere near the ocean, or a swamp. We've have deadly thunderstorms and tornadoes everyday.
this is what the sky will look like when Jesus descends from heaven AND to top it all off, now the eastern half of Iowa is flooding. Cedar Rapids, 20 mi away, has already started evacuating parts of the city. We watch the local news with captions that read 'Waterloo-downtown closed,' 'Cedar Rapids-under curfew, all bridges closed,' and 'Benton-do not use water.' It's absolutely insane. The Iowa River in IC is 15 feet above flood level, and isn't predicted to crest until next week (it's supposed to get another 4 feet higher). I've already got my evacuation plan figured out. Because if this entire city floods, I'm getting the heck out of here. When I have to canoe to work, I'm done. So I'll keep you all posted...from the epicenter of the apocalypse.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are hilariious! you forgot to mention the pestilential biting gnats though... stay safe chica--keep your lifevest handy!

Dewa said...

OH. don't even get me started on the biting gnats. I have scars all over my body from them. SCARS!

Will do! You might see me in Madison sooner than later :)

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you haven't been flooded yet. That photo of the clouds is CRAZY!

kelly said...

I'm liking the "Kelly curve":) Those student's don't even know how lucky they are!! We miss you guys!